St. John’s Lutheran School
Strong Academic Focus
· More than 100 years of education service to the Denver area
· Traditional-based curriculum, giving students the strongest foundation for higher learning
· Student teacher average is 16:1
· Testing shows the results – students recently scored in the top 3% of schools nationally*
· National Lutheran School of Accreditation
· Recognized by the U. S. Department of Education as a “Blue Ribbon School”**
Broad Specialty Programs
St. John’s offers a wide variety of specialty programs to compliment the education curriculum
· Fine Arts: Choir, Band, Handbells and Art
· Athletics: Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball, Track
· Enrichment: Technology, Foreign Language
Christian values and Biblical principles are shared through the curriculum and prepare students for lifelong ethical decision-making
· The faculty partners with parents in training of students
· Mutual respect between students and teachers provide an atmosphere of spiritual growth
· Daily Bible study and prayers are integral to the St. John’s education
St. John’s is an excellent choice for families seeking a private school environment
· High-quality programs at affordable costs
· Tuition assistance is available to eligible families
· “Smart Boards” in K-8 classrooms
· STEM Labs (Elementary & Middle School)
· Extended Care is available for busy families from 7:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
· Action-packed “School Day Out” programs are also available during school vacations
· Summer Camp is available for ages 6-12; children enjoy weekly field trips, swimming at Washington Park Recreation Center and a summer reading program and much more.
Safe & Friendly Environment
St. John’s provides a safe environment located in the Washington Park neighborhood
· Students are monitored through a single entrance
· Secured play areas overlook the beauty of the park
HISTORY OF ST. JOHN'S SCHOOL
St. John’s Lutheran School is located at 700 S Franklin Street, across from the beautiful Washington Park. The church originally opened and operated its own school on April 4, 1882 at 1846 Arapahoe Street. The school grew from an enrollment of 12 to 25. The school discontinued in 1884 only to open again in 1899 at West 5th Avenue and Cherokee Street. The first actual school building was a one-room building in which grades one to seven were taught by a single teacher located in the 300 block of Acoma Street. The main portion of the present school building was dedicated on the 80th anniversary of St. John’s congregation on December 21, 1959. The gymnasium-fellowship hall was added in 1968 and in 1999, St. John’s celebrated 100 years of Christian education provided by St. John’s Lutheran School.
The current facility houses a fully equipped Early Learning Center, a full size gym, a library, technology lab, cafeteria and full size playground. St. John’s also offers a wide variety of leading edge learning tools such as Smart Boards, iPods,and iPads into the classroom.