Sunday 2/11 - Saturday 2/17
Sanctity of Life - "Image" is Everything
by:Elder Neal Bamesberger
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- What sorts of hobbies do you enjoy?
- What kinds of sports do you watch on TV?
- Would you rather watch at home or be at the game?
- Where is your 'prayer closet' located?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
- Pray for Individual praises and needs.
- Pray for Pastor Andrew Farhat as their family moves to Denver.
- Pray for our military and our government leaders.
- Pray for our Church & school and staff & teachers.
Study Questions (35 min)
About the Sermon
Read Genesis 1:26-28
- When you hear the statement that we are made in God's image, what comes to mind?
- Is the image you project different at church than at work or home?
- Why do you think God made each one of us different?
- What happens when we compare ourselves to others?
A Deeper Look
Read 2 Corinthians 3:12-17
- When we are tempted to judge or criticize others what sins come into play?
- Does the same apply when I berate myself?
Read Psalm 51:10, 54:4, 84:11-12, 139: 13-16; Isaiah 43:1-7; John 14:26; Colossians 3:1-9; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18
- Has your self-image or self-worth been shaped by events of experiences in the past?
- Do you believe God has the power to reshape the way you think about yourself?
- Does forgiveness play a part in healing our emotions?
- Does forgiveness play a part in your understanding of how God sees you?
- Does forgiveness play a part in how you see yourself?
Discipleship Trios (25 min)
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same-gender groups of three and move to separate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener commitments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: How do you see the Lord speaking to you in the last few weeks? What is he saying?
- Share any personal struggles in your life, how can we pray for you? Pray for yourself to be a person who can share His grace.
- Where do see the Lord working in the life of others especially a non-Christian and how could you come alongside of them?
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!