Sunday 1/7 - Saturday 1/13
Serenity - Skit Guys - Serenity Prayer
by: Deacon Dennis J. Lawson Sr, PhD
If your group has more than 7 people, you're encouraged to split into men's and women's groups for "Warm Ups". Also, it often works better to go around the circle three times instead of each person having to answer all three questions at once.
Warm-Ups (15 min)
Warm-Ups (15 min)
- Share your high moment and low moment of the week.
- Share a time when your circumstances seemed out of control?
- When you think of ‘wisdom’ what specifically do you think of?
- What is God teaching you in your life right now?
Large Group Prayer (10 min)
Take turns praying (1) Thanksgivings, (2) for each other's needs, and (3) for our community. Click herefor creative ideas on how to pray as a group.
- Pray for a heart that knows when to fight and when to surrender.
- Pray for St. John’s as we call our St. John’s Worship Leader.
- Prayer for those who are experiencing difficult situations.
- Pray that we are a church where the community around St John’s is happy that we are there.
Study Questions (35 min)
About the Sermon
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next.
- When life seems out of control, do you tend to try to control everything or through up your hands and give up?
- Read Philippians 4:7: What does Scripture counsel us to do in order to find peace?
- Read Psalms 46:10: What does Scripture say about the abilities of our God?
- Which are difficult for you to connect with?
The only path to the peace and serenity of God is to accept and submit to His direction and plan for our life. There have been and will be many situations where we have no control and we may not always be clear on God’s plan. However, if we let go and not try to dictate and control the situations and people allowing God to work in and through us. God's promise is that a peace that even the angels do not comprehend will help us to take our difficult situations and life challenges to Him, He will get us through.
A Deeper Look
- Where does courage come from, where do we receive the ability to face the challenges of this world?
- Read Deuteronomy 31:6: Who does Scripture say is with us at all times?
- Read 2 Timothy 1:7: Scripture tells us that God’s Holy Spirit resides in us, does this knowledge empower you? How?
- Read Proverbs 3:5-6: In difficult situations on what or whom do you tend to rely on, how does it tend to end?
- Read James 1:5: Where does wisdom come from and how can we get it?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:15-17: Why is scripture useful and why should we read and study it?
Discipleship Trios (25 min)
The goal is to have intentional time to share your journey with others. Break into same-gender groups of three and move to separate spaces. If numbers necessitate flexibility, form groups of 2 instead.
- Review the listener commitments if you haven't done so in a while.
- The goal is not to pressure others into sharing more than they want to, or to give unsolicited advice, but to ask others how God is stretching them, be challenged by God's Word together, ask what others are planning to do about their growth areas, and ask how you can support them!
Share Your Journey: What have you heard from God through your Life Journal / Bible readings this week? What's an area of your life in which you know you need to repent and/or grow?
- If you need additional accountability questions, try pulling from this list or the accountability questions in this doc in order to spark reflection and discussion.
- When you hear a confession, you're encouraged to speak God's forgiveness!
- If you feel one of your group members is blind to something, (1) think about whether or not you're the right person to bring it up, (2) ask permission to share something, (3) phrase it as a question.
Discipleship Trio Prayer Time
- Share: Tell us what connections you're building and spiritual conversations you're having with non-believing friends.
- Pray for people who need God's grace in their lives. Pray for yourself to be a person who can share His grace.
- Pray for non-believers in your lives by name: ___________________.
- Pray for each other.
Optional Worship Song (+5 min)
- If you'd like, you can sing a worship song as a group. Don't have a musician? Sing along to a lyric video: SJDenver.org/Songs
- Advent/Christmas songs can be found at SJDenver.org/ChristmasSongs
Serve Our City
- Has your group planned an opportunity to serve our city for this semester? Click Here for a list of Service Ideas!
- Was there a glitch in today's material? Want to request a song? Do you have a suggestion? Click Here!